So lets say you have a strange odor coming from your gas fireplace, not typical to the rotten egg smell of a gas leak, what could it be? The answer could be Aldehydes, chemical compounds that results from incomplete combustion.
One key component of maintaining a gas system is keeping the firebox clean and free of things such as pet hair, lint, dust, etc. As your fireplace naturally pulls in these contaminants from your home, key components of your gas log system can become clogged and the result is the production of Aldehydes and also potentially deadly carbon monoxide.
Always remember, you can smell Aldehydes but you can never smell carbon monoxide. Be sure to have multiple carbon monoxide detectors in your home for safety and make sure to have your gas system professionally inspected and cleaned once a year to prevent clogging of air inlets and ensure that your fireplace is ready for the Winter. My best maintenance recommendation would be to search online for a NFI Certified Gas Specialist, they are highly trained and have the qualifications needed to keep your system safe for use.
To search for a local NFI Certified Gas Specialist click here.
Our cat Simba when he was a kitten 🙂